Log (By Day)
Log (By Category)
Pics of Me Working
Sunday June 29, 2008
This morning, I started working on the aileron gap faring and flap brace. Here is the flap brace (after slight trimming indicated on the plans) clecoed for drilling.
I drilled, deburred, and riveted the aileron gap faring in place. I was able to squeeze all of these rivets. I had to make a few small trims to avoid interference with the hinge brackets and their rivets.
I deburred and riveted the flap brace to the rear spar. I had to shoot and buck these solo, but it turned out quite well. The brace will get riveted to the bottom skins when they are permanently attached.
Then I worked on getting the wire conduit in place--it was a royal pain here in the wing root where the ribs are closely spaced under the wing walk.
Eventually, with lots of physical effort and cursing, I got the thing in place and dabbed some sealant in the rib holes to hopefully help with vibration.
Then, I worked on preparing the right wing's bottom skins for installation. I used the soldering iron to melt off the plastic from the rivet lines, deburred the holes, deburred the edges, and dimpled everything.
While I was at it, I drilled the inspection hole covers.
Repeated all of the same steps with the outboard bottom skin...this all takes quite a while.
Finally, I riveted nutplates on the inspection holes on both bottom skins.
It was quite a long day in the shop today!