Log (By Day)
Log (By Category)
Pics of Me Working
Sunday September 12, 2021
The first thing I did today was to reinforce the inside of the balsa rib with fiberglass.
I also filled the aft side of the rib with micro.
Then I covered my "oops" repair on the right elevator with some micro.
I sanded down the right HS tip, which seems nearly perfect.
I sanded the left HS tip as well, but it had a couple of spots I needed to fill. I managed to use the rapidly stiffening micro from earlier.
Then I got out the rudder bottom tip and started to trim it.
It took quite a few iterations to fit it to the rudder bottom.
Then I drilled it.
The plans have you drill the tip only to the R-918 bottom attach strip only, with nothing forward of that. I added a hole here into the R-710 horn brace.
I also added a hole in the R-902 spar. These extra holes give better stability in the front 1/4 of the tip.
I countersunk the holes in the tip for CS4-4 blind rivets.
I also shaped the forward end of the tip to give clearance to the bottom rudder attach bolt/bracket.
I think I'm going to wait to attach this tip permanently until I decide on a lighting package, since the various tail light options have slightly different mounting options. It will be easier to install them in the tip while it's still open.